Employee Exit Interviews for Feedback
What is an Exit Interview? The Employee Exit Interview’s Purpose
The purpose of employee exit interviews is to capture the employee experience, identify the motivational drivers toward separation, and to determine the action(s) that will decrease the likelihood of recurrence. Exit Interviews are one of the three (3) pillars of the “Employee Feedback Triad” for people analytics (New Hire Surveys, Stay Interviews, Exit Interviews). This is because it is an irreplaceable tool to gather exit interview feedback and determine why people leave, which can only occur when people leave. As a data-gathering tool, a valid Exit Interview pinpoints “Why Employees Quit” with the highest accuracy. There is no alternate instrument that can replicate it with any comparable confidence. Therefore it is considered an essential data source in Talent Management.
Why Use Exit Interview Software to Conduct Exit Interviews?
By gathering positive and constructive feedback, employers that outsource employee exit interviews are able to prioritize their retention solutions and action plans to get results faster.
Exit interviews help eliminate assumptions
Disengaged employees think about quitting while you pay them
- Based on extensive research, 65% to 84% of employees are passively or actively looking for new jobs, while employers estimate this number to be 37%.*
- Additionally, research shows that the highest traffic period for job seekers viewing online job postings is between 10am to 2 pm**, and Careerbuilder.com indicates that peak times for job search are around lunch time.
- Furthermore, over 70% of all employees negotiate and accept competitors’ job offers during work hours, while you pay them.
Once employees disengage, you cannot stop them from job searching. If you don’t know why employees leave, you will not be able to keep your employees from leaving. Still not sure what an exit interview is? Exit interviews are one of the most cost effective tools you can use to gain insight to help continuously engage and retain your best employees. You can improve the workplace so that even if some employees resign, more don’t follow.
Retaining good employees will only get harder
Web Exit Interviews
When completing the exit interview, employees have the option of entering their comments as well as self-selecting codes that best capture and reflect their responses. With an HRIS integration, it is also possible to completely automate the exit interview process – set it up once and have reports delivered directly to your inbox.
Web Exit Interviews may be the best choice if:
- Employees have an email account on record
- There are documents to send/receive during the separation process
- Cost is a consideration (get widest feedback for the lowest charge)
- Your staff may wish to respond to the web exit interview outside of typical work hours
- Managers or HR need to complete survey questions related to the separating employee
- Full automation of the separation and Exit Interview process is desired
Contact us to learn more about “What is an exit interview?”.
Live Voice Exit Interviews
Companies have several options in how they conduct exit interviews. ExitPro supports every format. Outsourcing exit interviews with Live Voice interviews, provides your organization with trained exit interview specialists administering exit interviews and capturing data, while still getting ExitPro’s advanced reporting and predictive analytics. All exit interview data is processed by ExitPro, and your organization will have real-time access to ExitPro’s comprehensive reporting and trend-tracking features. If you have an existing exit interview process, leverage ExitPro to streamline and centralize all exit interviews.
Live Voice Exit Interviews might be the best choice if:
- You want to capture as much insight and commentary as possible
- Not every employee has a reliable email address on file
- The highest possible completion rate is desired
- The strongest employee experience is key to your Employer Brand
- Employees might be hesitant to provide feedback electronically
View our types of Exit Interview software here.
SMS Text Exit Interviews (or) Mobile Exit Surveys
A QR Code is often associated with Mobile Exit Surveys and is a growing medium for employee feedback. Facilitating SMS Text or QR Codes for exit surveys increase response rates highest for hourly staff like retail, warehouse, manufacturing and blue-collar employees. ExitPro was the first exit interview software to automate SMS Text invitations to conduct exit interviews.
Mobile or SMS Text Survey Invitations are a great addition if:
- Your workforce requires a mobile-friendly solution
- Separating employees are “offline” who do not have company emails (such as those in the fields, hourly workers, or transient workforce)
- Interest in attracting the Gen Z and Millennial populations
- Desire to increase exit interview completion rates by 5-10%
Paper Form Exit Interviews
Paper Form Exit Interviews may be best if:
- Provides convenience for employees who do not have easy access to the Internet
- Very straight-forward procedure for the separating employee