What are Exit Interviews (EI)?
An Exit Interview is a Question & Answer session conducted with a separating employee. Exit Interviews can be face-face, voice-based calls, or through online exit interview websites (aka exit surveys). An exit interview can be delivered by the employer or an independent third party to increase assurance of confidentiality.
The purpose of employee exit interviews is to capture the employee experience, identify the motivational drivers toward separation, and to determine the action(s) that will decrease the likelihood of reoccurrence. Exit Interviews are one of the three (3) pillars of the “Employee Feedback Triad” for people analytics (New Hire Surveys, Stay Interviews, Exit Interviews). This is because it is an irreplaceable tool to determine why people leave, which can only occur when people leave. As an data-gathering tool, a valid Exit Interview pinpoints “Why Employees Quit” with the highest accuracy. There is no alternate instrument that can replicate it with any comparable confidence. Therefore it is considered an essential data source in Talent Management.
Why Use Exit Interview Software to Conduct Exit Interviews?
Well-crafted Exit Interview programs help companies gain valuable insight from all entities involved in a separation (HR, Manager, Peers, etc…). These insights serve to target high-potential new hires during recruiting, and increase current high-performer talent retention. The process can mitigate the impact of the departing employee and calibrate future retention strategies.
By gathering positive and constructive feedback, employers that conduct employee exit interviews are able to prioritize their retention solutions and action plans to get results faster.
Exit interviews help eliminate assumptions
Disengaged employees think about quitting while you pay them
- Based on extensive research, 65% to 84% of employees are passively or actively looking for new jobs, while employers estimate this number to be 37%.*
- Additionally, research shows that the highest traffic period for job seekers viewing online job postings is between 10am to 2 pm**, and Careerbuilder.com indicates that peak times for job search are around lunch time.
- Furthermore, over 70% of all employees negotiate and accept competitors’ job offers during work hours, while you pay them.
Once employees disengage, you cannot stop them from job searching. If you don’t know why employees leave, you will not be able to keep your employees from leaving. Exit interviews are one of the most cost effective tools you can use to gain insight to help continuously engage and retain your best employees. You can improve the workplace so that even if some employees resign, more don’t follow.
Retaining good employees will only get harder
Web-Based Exit Interviews
When completing the interview, employees will have the option of entering their comments as well as self-selecting codes that best capture reflect their responses. With an HRIS integration, it is also possible to completely automate this process – set it up once and have reports delivered direct to your inbox.
Another feature of web-based exit interviews is a “kiosk” function, where an employee can go to a website (ex: https://www.exitpro.net) and anonymously complete their exit interview.
Web-Based Exit Interviews may be the best choice if:
- Employees have email and internet access
- Your employees may wish to take the interview outside of 9am-9pm EST
- Cost is a consideration – hear from everyone for 1 rate
- There is documentation to be provided along with the separation
- Managers or HR need to be sent a survey section to complete
- Full automation of the separation and Exit Interview process is desired
Contact us and learn more.
Live Voice-Based Exit Interviews
Companies have a choice in how they conduct exit interviews, and ExitPro supports every format. If you outsource voice-based interviews, your organization will have trained exit interview specialists administering exit interviews and capturing data, while still getting all the benefits of using ExitPro. All exit interview data will be processed by ExitPro, and your organization will have real-time access to ExitPro’s comprehensive reporting and trend-tracking features. If you have an internal procedure, you can use ExitPro to centralize all exit interviews processed.
Voice-Based Exit Interviews might be the best choice if:
- Separating employees do not have easy access to the internet
- Not every employee has a reliable email address on file
- You want to capture as much commentary as possible
- The highest possible completion rate is desired
- Employees might be hesitant to provide feedback
View our types of Exit Interview software here.
Paper-Based Exit Interviews
Paper-Based Exit Interviews may be best if:
- Provides convenience for employees who do not have easy access to the Internet
- Very straight-forward procedure for the separating employee